Windows 10 Windows 7?
Microsoft have stopped selling Windows 7. We have a couple of copies left on the shelf. Most machines will ship with Windows 10. At DVC we actually like Windows 10 and cannot see a good reason not to use it, as long as the editing program we are installing for you works properly on Windows 10. EDIUS 8 is designed for Windows 10 and is the best option for an EDIUS 8 machine.
Whilst we still have Windows 7 copies we could install that, or we could use a copy of Windows 7 from an existing machine that you are not using any more. Please note we can only use your old copy of Windows 7 if it is not being used any more on the original computer.
What is good about Windows 10?
The main reasons you may want to choose Windows 10 are:
- You want to stay on the most up to date operating system, with support carrying on into the foreseeable future. Microsoft support for adding new features to Windows 7 ended on 13th January 2015 and the end of security patches is scheduled for 14th January 2020. Windows 8 is set for the end of new features on 9th January 2018 and for security patches on 10th January 2023.
- Windows 10 is supposed to be the last version of Windows and will get updates for the life of your device. You will only have to buy a new copy of Windows when you buy a new computer, phone or tablet.
- If you log in with a Microsoft ID you can sync data between other machines with the same ID and even sync project files if you save backups on your Microsoft "Onedrive".
- You get access to a lot of extra apps using Windows 10, which now includes Candy Crush and many other ways to stop you actually doing any work.
- If using a high resolution screen (one which is bigger than 1920x1080 pixels, like a UHD screen) the text in many programs becomes so small it is unusable. Windows 10 handles these higher resolutions screens a lot better than Windows 7.
- The Windows back up is considerably better than it was in Windows 7 as it allows you to set a folder to do an incremental backup of your files rather than the entire folder. If set up properly this can be very useful.
- Although Grass Valley still support Windows 7 they are likely to focus their attention on developing for Windows 10 as all new computers will have it as will many older computers.
Windows 10 disadvantages
The major draw back to using Windows 10 is that some older programs and devices may not work on it. Adobe Premiere Pro CC, Grass Valley EDIUS 8, Avid Media Composer 8.5, Sony Vegas 13 & 14 and DaVinci Resolve 12 have all been validated to work on Windows 10. Earlier versions have not. We have tested some old programs ourselves, for example, many old version of Photoshop work OK, as does Audition. We also know that programs like Microsoft Office 2003 definitely have problems with Windows 10 that they did not have with Windows 7. So you may choose Windows 7 because you want to use a program you already own as well as the new editing program you are buying.
Just because a program is old it does not mean it will not work, or maybe it will work 95% properly. We have tried many older programs ourselves but there are, of course, quite a few we have not tried.
Since Windows 10 was released we have supplied many computers and had very few problems.