David Vincent Clarke Ltd
3-4 Westbourne Grove, Hove
East Sussex, BN3 5PJ
Tel: 01273 205700
Fax: 01273 917099
DVC Newsletter 2nd March 2012
- B.V.E show special offers
- Adobe 20% upgrades end March 16th - and remember, when CS6 arrives you will ONLY be able to upgrade from CS5!
- 1 last Adobe Production Premium switcher in stock.
- EDIUS 6.5 Announced - shipping June 2012
- Matrox MX02 special offers until end of March 2012
- New public beta Matrox MX02 drivers for Avid MC6 & Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5
- Black Magic driver update for Media Composer 6
- Sony Vegas Pro 11 updates
DVC at B.V.E. show offers still available
We have two ex-demo laptops on offer. Both are using i7 processors and can take two hard drives internally, and are under 1 year old.
870 laptop with an ATI 580 graphic card
This laptop is from a range no longer available, and has been our demo laptop for the last 10 months. It is in good condition, although used, and this is reflected in the price. The biggest advantage of this laptop is that it has an express card slot so you can use it with Matrox MX02, Grass Valley Storm Mobile and AJA i/o Express. It is also has a powerful i7 processor, with 8GB RAM and a 500GB hard drive installed and with some room to upgrade, so it is a very powerful laptop, just used. This laptop has a 3 month warranty and is Â£600+VAT.
i7 Sandybridge laptop
This is our current laptop, and has been used for about 6 months, so still has 6 months warranty. The i7 Sandybridge is a more powerful processor than the i7 found in the 870 laptop, plus the laptop can have more RAM installed than the current 8GB, as well as having two hard drives. This laptop does not have an express card slot but has USB3 built-in and does work with the Black Magic Intensity Shuttle with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 and Sony Vegas. It has a powerful nVidia card built-in which can work with the Adobe Mercury Playback Engine (although it is not officially supported by Adobe). As this laptop is newer, and less used that the 870 it has £200 off its normal price and is £999+VAT.
You can read more about the laptops here: http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/DVC-systems.html
We have some great offers on EDIUS at the moment:
- HALF PRICE EDIUS - available to anyone, while stocks last or until 31st March, whichever is the sooner. You can buy EDIUS 6 with all its plug-ins for £259+VAT
- Vistitle PromoPack - Vistitle for EDIUS with 3 plug-ins - 3D particle, Karaoke and Handwriting - £169+VAT
- Storm Mobile External Megapack (External STORM Mobile, with Vistitle Promopack). We have just one of these Megapacks in stock and it represents a considerable saving over the regular price of an External Storm Mobile and Vistitle - £815+VAT
- EDIUS and HDSPARK bundle - £499+VAT
- EDIUS, HDSPARK and Black Magic Intensity Pro bundle -£633+VAT
If you want to read more about EDIUS, the HDSPARK, or capture using the Black Magic Intensity Pro then visit our EDIUS pages: http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/Canopus_Edius_Pro.html
If you want more information please visit our website: http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/GRASS_VALLEY_OFFERS.html
Adobe upgrades 20% off. Special offers on Matrox MX02
We have other special offers running on Adobe upgrades and also on some of Matrox MX02 range. Full details on these offers are below.
All our special offers can be seen on the DVC website: http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/Software_hardware.html
20% off Adobe Upgrades ends 15th March
We have mentioned this in the last few newsletters but it is worth mentioning again. If you have a CS4 or earlier version of an Adobe piece of software then now is the best time to upgrade as there is 20% off most Adobe upgrades until March 15th. Also Adobe have announced that when CS6 arrives you will ONLY be able to upgrade to CS6 from CS5 or CS5.5. Owners of CS4 and any version of the program before this will have to pay the full price. Currently you can upgrade After Effects, Photoshop, and the Creative suites (like the Production Premium) from any of the last 3 versions of the program. With Adobe Premiere you can upgrade from practically ANY version of Premiere (even the Premiere 1 we were using when we started DVC in 1995). After CS6 this will all change - and Adobe have confirmed to us this is for individual products as well as suites.
We anticipate that CS6 will arrive around the time of the NAB show in April, although this date has not been officially confirmed which means if you have CS4 or earlier you will need to buy an upgrade sometime before then, or face paying the full price for the software.
1 ADOBE PRODUCTION PREMIUM FOR WINDOWS SWITCHER IN STOCK
The Adobe switcher program officially finished at the end of October 2011 but we bought a large quantity of Production Premiums before the end of the promotion and have just one left. Visit our website to order: http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/ADOBE_OFFERS.html
EDIUS 6.5 announced
Grass Valley have announced a major update to EDIUS - EDIUS 6.5. This will ship around June 2012 and will be showcased at the NAB show in April.
So what is in EDIUS 6.5?
In a previous newsletter we talked about the 3D preview version of EDIUS which is currently available and how the 3D features would be rolled into "EDIUS 7" when it was finally available. EDIUS 6.5 is effectively this new version. The major addition is the STEREOSCOPIC editing abilities but Grass Valley have also added some features that will be attractive to non-STEREO users. As the new version has only just been officially announced and will not be shipping for a few months we do not have all the details but here is what we know so far:
- The upgrade will cost $299. At current exchange rates we would estimate this as Â£199 +VAT- the same price as the current upgrade from EDIUS 5-EDIUS 6, but wont have the exact price until much nearer shipping. The information they have released so far also says there will be a promotional upgrade for owners of EDIUS 1-5, but we do not know the cost.
- The new features we know so far:
- Stereoscopic editing (we have put some information about this on our website here http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/edius3d.html)
- A new native image stabilizer (not Mercalli)
- Improvements to the layouter which include better quality scaling, borders and shadows
- A loudness meter - which measures the volume of the timeline and will warn if the sound levels fall outside of specific broadcast parameters
- Native support for RED footage, and AVCHD support.
- A Quicktime version of the EDIUS HQ codec - so you should be able to export files in decent quality to QuickTime which will then be readable on a MAC (assuming the MAC user installs the EDIUS codecs).
- Based on what we have seen on the 3D preview version there are many other small enhancements - like a filmstrip view on the timeline, many of the filters appear to have been remade because they now have different settings for left and right eyes - although Grass Valley have said that the 3D preview is just that and there is no guarantee that features in 3D preview will be included in EDIUS 6.5. Obviously we will have more information nearer the time.
- EDIUS 6.5 will support the same hardware as EDIUS 6 (i.e. Grass Valley HDSTORM, HDSPARK, STORM Mobile, STORM 3G/3G Elite and EDIUS NX/SP)
- EDIUS 6.5 will only work on Windows 7 - either 32bit or 64bit. It will no longer work on Windows XP or Vista.
- EDIUS 6.5 will not come with any extra plug-ins - like ProDad Mercalli, Vitascene, New Blue effects or VST plug-ins. It will need new versions of these plug-ins and we will not know until nearer the time if there will be free updates available for people who already have them or not. The same is true for titling programs - undoubtedly there will be an update for Vistitle, since it is a current product but we will not know if you will have to pay for it or not; we are 99% sure there will not be an update for Title Motion Pro and that it will not work in EDIUS 6.5.
Grass Valley have released a document with some common questions here: http://www.grassvalley.com/assets/media/4745/PRV-4156M_EDIUS_6.5_FAQ.pdf. More information will be available nearer the release.
Our promised video on EDIUS 3D will be available soon (now that the B.V.E. show is finished), and we are planning a couple of others as well. Information will be posted here when they are available.
Matrox MX02 special offers until end March 2012
Matrox have some special offers on some of their MX02s which are running until the end of March.
Matrox Mojito Max - £70 off SRP - DVC price £639+VAT
The Mojito is a Matrox MX02 on a PCIe card. The Matrox MX02 devices have all their electronics in the breakout box and connect to your PC using a PCIe (or express card for a laptop) interface card. In practice it means you can unplug the MX02 from one machine and plug it into another and all you need is the relatively cheap interface card to do so. Some users wanted all the electronics inside the computer (in the way that the older Matrox RT.X2 was designed) and this is why Matrox produced the Mojito. The connections on the Mojito are via a breakout cable, so if you want an easily accessible box with all your video connections then a regular MX02 is the better option. The Mojitos nearest equivenat in the MX02 range is the MX02 LE - it has a similar range of sockets (HDMI, SDI etc), but being an internal card is slightly cheaper. The Mojito has all the same features and supports the same programs (Avid MC6, Premiere Pro, FCP) as the MX02.
Matrox MX02 LE MAX - £71 off SRP - DVC price £639+VAT
A very popular MX02 because it has just about every connection on it - SDI, HDMI, component, composite and SVIDEO. The MX02 LE works with Avid Media Composer 6, Adobe Premeire Pro CS5 & CS5.5 and Apple Final Cut Pro. The MAX version include the special fast encoding chip for H264.
Matrox MX02 RACK MAX - £307 off SRP - DVC price£1,439+VAT
The rackmount version of the MX02 has the biggest discount and is down by £300.
You can read more about the MX02 range here: http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/matrox_cards.html
New public beta Matrox MX02 drivers for Avid MC6 & Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5
Matrox have released new beta drivers for their MX02 range for use with Adobe Premiere pro and Avid Media Composer 6. The current versions are public betas, which means that they are not the finished drivers and will have some bugs in them. The current non-beta versions of the drivers for each of these programs were the first to be released and as such do have some problems, so Matrox have decided to release a better public-beta for those people who are having issues. We have so far tested the Premiere Pro drivers and they seem to work well, and also let you use more up-to-date graphic card drivers than the 275.33 nVidia drivers we have been using for some time. We have not extensively tested the Avid beta drivers.
If you are having problems we would suggest you download the beta drivers and see how they work. If you are not having major problems then we suggest you wait until the final drivers are released. If in doubt, and assuming you bought your MX02 from us, give us a ring or an email and we can advise you specifically.
There are different drivers for Avid and Premiere Pro and neither version works on both programs. The current version 6 drivers for Media Composer do install plug-ins into Premiere Pro CS5.5 as well, although Matrox are not recommending you use them for Premiere. The beta drivers are not intended to be used on both programs on the same system either. We anticipate when the final drivers are released you will be able to have both programs working on the same system.
You can download the Avid beta drivers here: http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=755
You can download the Premiere Pro Beta drivers here: http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=7530
Black Magic driver update for Media Composer 6
Black Magic have produced the 9.1 drivers for use with their devices and Avid Media Composer 6. These drivers can also be used with other software, like Adobe Premiere Pro, however, the main change between version 9 and version 9.1 was for Media Composer. We have found the new drivers to be ok, but not perfect (normal for drivers for a program which has only been out a month or two) and on some of our systems using the original version 9 drivers worked better. We suggest you only install them if you are having problems to see if they fix the problems.
If using an Black Magic card with Grass Valley EDIUS for capture we would recommend sticking with the version 9 drivers, since we have extensively tested them with EDIUS.
You can download the Black Magic drivers here: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/
You can see the full range of Black Magic cards here: http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/Black_Magic_capture_cards.html
Sony Vegas Pro 11 updates
Sony Vegas Pro 11 was released in September of last year and since then there have been several small updates. If you are connected to the Internet then Vegas will automatically warn you of changes. The latest update, build 594 fixes several small bugs, including fixing HDV print to tape and some issues with GPU effects and we recommend installing it.
You can download the update here: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/vegaspro
You can learn more about Sony Vegas Pro 11 here: http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/Sony_Vegas.html
David Vincent Clarke Ltd
Useful pages on our wesbite:
If you do not want to receive future email newsletters please just send a reply to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make sure you are removed.
All prices correct at time of email but subject to change; errors and omissions excepted.
David Vincent Clarke Ltd
3-4 Westbourne Grove, Hove
East Sussex, BN3 5PJ
Tel: 01273 205700
Fax: 01273 917099